Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Wonderous Words Wednesday
Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudaonion where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.
Here are my words for this week:
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
1. Proletariat- term used to identify a lower social class proletarian. Originally it was identified as those people who had no wealth other than their sons. The term was initially used in a derogatory sense.
2. Paregyric- is a formal public speech, or written verse, delivered in a high praise of a person of thing, a generally highly studied and discriminating eulogy, not expected to be critical.
MiddleMarch by George Eliot
1. Plutocracy- is rule by the wealthy, or power provided by wealth
2. blazonry- a dazzling display
3. bursquerie- abruptness of manner
4. pilulous- like a pill; small, insignificant