Friday, June 19, 2009

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Summary:
This was Miss Austin's last work. It also has an alternate ending as well. This is a story about Anne Eliot who refuses to marry Captain Wentworth because he does not have any money. Well eventually he leaves and many years have passed and he comes back with money but he also has fell for Louisa Musgrove who he begins to court. Well, of course Anne does not like that. Something bad happens to Louisa and she is incapacitated. Anne and Captain Wentworth meet in Bath and realize that they never stopped loving each other. Well I won't spoil the ending for you. You will have to read to find out what happens next.

Review:
I am sorry to say this is one of my least favorites of Jane Austen works. It was not as engaging as Pride and Prejudice or held my attention as much as Northanger Abbey which most people do not give good reviews. I found myself hoping the story would finally be over. I guess I am not a big of a romance fan so to me it was painful. While I think she is a great writer this book did not do if for me. I still have to read Emma, Sense and Sensibility and Mansfield Park. Then I will have finished all of her works.

Overall rating 3/5

4 comments:

Heidenkind said...

Aw. I think Persuasion is probably my favorite after P&P. Anne was bullied into refusing Wentworth by her family. And I don't think Wentworth was ever really attracted to Louisa, he was just trying to make Anne jealous so she would notice him.

Becky said...

I love the idea of this story, and have some "remakes" I'm interested in reading, but don't know if it's my favorite either. I love this cover though!

Shannansbooks said...

Heidenkind and Mjmbecky: The cover is gorgeous. I guess I was not in the mood for it at the time I was reading it. I think I had more interesting books at the time. I may reread it at a later date. I have seen the movies and and I did not like them either. I guess I may never be a fan of Persuasion but I love Austen's other works that I have read.

Becca said...

I recently tried to watch the movie of Persuasion but I was thoroughly bored from the beginning and couldn't be bothered to finish it. P&P is one of my favorite books and I have been hesitant to branch out to her other books because I keep hearing it was the best.