Saturday, June 20, 2009

Review The Awakening by Kate Chopin



From the back cover:
Her most famous work, certainly roused many. This novel tells of a Louisiana wife who discovers the strength of her own sexuality and tries to wrench it from the hands of a patriarchal society. And just as Edna Pontellier is ostracized fro trying to master her own sexual fate, so was Chopin shunned after writing this book, her reputation and career destroyed. Today, however, The Awakening is considered a masterpiece, and along with her short stories, it has set a standard for younger generations of women, who have learned to value their individuality and independence.

My Review:

I really liked this short story by Katie Chopin. I kind of understand why Edna feels the way she does. Here she is keeping up appearances for her husband that she does not love but feeling empty inside. Why I don't agree that she should have left her children behind when she decided to claim her independence. I understood her need to find herself, what she is about and what she can accomplish. I read this for a book club called Banned Books. I understood why it was banned back in the Victorian Era. Women were not allowed to have opinion on anything. They were expected to very agreeable to their husbands and turn the other cheek when he did something that would disappoint her. The were like little puppets. Katie Chopin was criticized for this work so much so that she never wrote another novel again.

Overall I rate this 4.5/5

3 comments:

Heidenkind said...

That's sad. I haven't read this book, but I would guess the whole abandoning of her kids thing wasn't her choice. Women usually didn't get custody of their kids in the late 19th and early 20th century, especially if they were unfaithful to their husbands.

Rebecca Reid said...

oh that's sad that she didn't write again because of the criticism! It sounds wonderful.

Becca said...

I have this book on my TBR list. I did not realize that she received so much criticism she never wrote again. That is a shame. I have heard great things about this work and I am especially partial to books that have been banned.