Saturday, June 20, 2009

Review for Skinny by Ibi Kaslik




From the Back Cover:
Holly's older sister, Giselle, is self-destructing. Haunted by her trouble relationship with her late father, Giselle is fighting an all-consuming battle with anorexia. Once a role model and top medical student, her life is spiraling out of control.
As a track star, Holly struggles to keep her own life in balance while coping with her sister's mental and physical deterioration. And together they are holding on for dear life.
Told from both girls perspectives they narrate alternating chapters, Skinny explores love, pain and hunger for acceptance that drives us all.


My Review:

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is well written and I even gained some medical knowledge from it . In every other chapter there is a medical term and definition as related to how Giselle is feeling. For example: For each minute the heart is stopped, it loses a high percentage of capacity to perform muscular activity and becomes weakened. She is at a hospital going to a group meeting and she meets her sisters classmate. She is nervous it feel like her heart stopped. It is her first group meeting for her Anorexia. There are lot of medical information throughout the book. Its amazing how this is used to let you know what the character is think.

I really enjoyed this book and it was a quick read I read it in 2hrs. I would recommend to anyone who has a child who is suffering from this tragic disease.

5/5

2 comments:

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I've seen this around. Sounds like a good one. I like "issue" type books.

-Lauren

Oh, and don't forget the YA Book Carnival starting tomorrow: give something away, enter contests, find new blogs, HAVE FUN. It'll be on my blog so stop by (or follow so you don't miss anything)

Shannansbooks said...

Ok. Thanks I will try to follow that. I am trying to get back into reading YA novels