Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Wonderous Words Wednesday
Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudaonion where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.
Again I will use The Mayor of Casterbridge because its loaded with many interesting words.
1.Bill-hooks - hooked knives
2. mattock- tools used to loosen hard ground
3. butter-firkins- small casks for butter
4. field-flagons- bottles in which field workers carried beer
5. seed-lips- baskets used to carry seed
6. lammigers- Physically disabled people
7. tumuli- mounds of earth marking ancient burial sites
8. brougham- closed one-horse carriage
9. victorine- fur scarf worn by women
This book is full of new words and slang.