Saturday, May 9, 2009

Review of Women in Love


  • Paperback: 576 pages
  • Publisher: Modern Library (January 4, 2000)
  • Language: English

From the Back cover:

Written during the desperate years of the First World War. Women in Love is the story of two sisters, Ursula and Gudrun , and the men with whom the fall in love. The tew couples yearn for fulfillment and meaning in their romantic lives, yet struggle in a modern world that is is increasingly violent and destructive a struggle that ultimately ends in the demise of one of the intimates. Rich in symbolism and lyrical prose, Women in Love is a complex intellectual meditation on the meaning of love.

My Review:

While this book had no plot, It basically described and question many types of love. I found the language beautiful but hard to understand at times. Basically its about tow sister Ursula and Gudrun. Ursula falls for Birkin and he asks her to marry him. Meanwhile Gerald and Birkin have an intmate affair with each other. This book was probably banned because of the homosexuality in the novel. Lawrence can be bold and sometimes offensively sexual for his era.

I really did not like this book because it jumped around a lot. I was told that I would have probably would have like it if I had The Rainbow first. The best part of this novel would have to be the end because it was shocking I had to reread the last chapter to get over my shock.

Overall rating 3/5

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually really love this book, but I think it's partly because I really love the movie - directed by Ken Russell with Glenda Jackson (1969). Good acting & great costuming. I saw it before I ever read the book. You might look for it - it's fun.

Shannansbooks said...

I liked the movie better than the book. I saw the movie last year. So I knew what to expect. I liked Sons and Loves better by this author.