Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Books I Bought Today at Barnes and Noble

I went to the local Barnes and Noble today looking for more light reads to give me a break from the classics I have been reading. I found two books.

Here is what I found:

I Love a Man in Uniform by Lily Burana











  • Hardcover: 368 pages
  • Publisher: Weinstein Books (April 14, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1602860831
  • ISBN-13: 978-1602860834

From the inside cover:
A former exotic dancer who once had a penchant for anarchist politics and purple hair dye, Lily's rebellious past never would have suggested a marriage into the military. But then she met Mike a Military Intelligence officer, and fell hopelessly in lover, resulting in a most unorthodox romance poignant, passionate , and utterly unpredictable.

After Lily and Mike said "I do" in a brief, pre-deployment City Hall ceremony, Mike Left for Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Lily was left in a strange town to endure his absence alone , with no support system and little knowledge of the vast and confusing military world in to which she had married.

Upon Mike's return from the war, the couple moved to historic West Point, where Lily found that life on base had its own challenges. As the war continued and the past intruded unexpectedly into the present, Lily and Mike found themselves plunged into the nightmare of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Struggling to cope in a community where admitting weakness is the ultimate taboo and "suck it up" is the suggested response to emotional pain, Lily suffered from depression so severe, it almost ended her marriage. With the help of a revolutionary therapeutic technique, the couple made their way out of the darkness and back to each other. Through it all, Lily wrangled with her preconceptions about the military and found her place within the uniquely supported sisterhood of military wives.

From harrowing emotion to the dishy details of life on base, Lily Burana bares her heart and soul as a modern military spouse.

Reasons for buying this book: I am a military wife going through a deployment. Lifetime makes it seem like its fun and games and hanging with your girlfriends it is not like that. Its real and emotional.


The next book I bought was:

My Horizontal Life A Collection of One-Night Stands












From the Back Cover:

Meet Chelsea Handler. Gorgeous, sharp, and anything but shy, Chelsea loves men...lots of them. In this raucous collection of true-life stories, she chronicles her romp through the bedrooms of a variety of suitors. My Horizontal Life is a fearless acount of what can happen between a man and a sometimes very intoxicated, outgoing woman during one night passion.

From her short fling with a Vegas stripper to her even shorter dalliance with a well-endowed little person, from her uncomfortable tryst with a cruise ship performer to her misguided rebound with a man who likes to play leather dress-up, Chelsea recalls the highs and lows of her one-night stands with hilarious honesty. My Horizontal Life is one guilty pleasure you won't be ashamed to talk about in the morning.

Reasons for picking this book: I bought this for some light-hearted humor. I watch the show occasionally. I usually like books by comedian.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I just commented about Lily Burana on another of your posts! I just read this one, and will be reviewing it AND posting an interview with Lily herself soon (she's about to go on a signing tour, so not sure when she'll have time to answer my questions. My timing was bad.) This book isn't all sugar and roses, but it doesn't look like you expect it to be so. For a non-military person it was eye-opening!