Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wonderous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudaonion where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.
Today's words come from THE BIRTH OF BRITAIN by Winston Churchill
1. thanage- the tenure by which lands were held by a thane
2. caitiff- a base, despicable person
3. fetters- a chain or shackle placed on the feet
4. avarice- insatiable greed for riches; inordinate miserly desire to gain and hoard wealth
5. fealty- the obligation or the engagement to be faithful to a lord.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Wow, you're doing some pretty have reading these days. I love the word fetters, but I'm glad I'm not wearing any! Thanks for participating!

Shannansbooks said...

Thank you, I already have a good list for next week. While reading a few of the books. A lot of difficult words ahead.

Becca said...

I have not heard of any of these except fetters, and it has been a while so I had forgotten about it anyway. I love the word avarice, which makes me think of Scrooge.